Job Title: Registered Nurse-Certified Diabetic Educator Home Care Queens
Job Number: 000ICJ
|Functions as a pro-active resource person to management and staff in matters regarding the provision of care and formulation of policy and education relative to diabetes management. Recommends appropriate diabetes management strategies by collaborating with Physicians, staff, patients and families. Oversees Performance Improvement activities as related to aspects of diabetes management and reports results.
- Performs duties of a Registered Nurse, providing direct patient care in home setting, health teaching and counseling to diabetic patients, their families and staff.
- Implements a comprehensive diabetes management plan based on assessment of medical, social and environmental needs of the patient.
- Conducts nutritional assessments, medical nutrition therapy and diabetes self management education.
- Coordinates teaching activities with family, informal supports and/or other resources.
- Provides direct patient care as indicated and ordered by physician using nursing skills and judgment.
- Evaluates patient’s responses to care provided in conjunction with patient’s physician and modifies plan of treatment, as needed.
- Assesses patient and families’ learning needs and readiness to learn, providing health guidance, counseling and instruction.
- Utilizes written materials as indicated, consistent with patient/families’ comprehension and ability to learn.
- Provides patients with the education needed to manage their health, and provide current research-based education.
- Collects and analyzes data related to Type I & Type II mellitus /Hypoglycemic/Gestational diabetes.
- Oversees methodology for collection of data.
- Coordinates completion and submission of related surveys and/or reports.
- Participates and chairs in various committees and studies.
- Functions as a resource person to management and staff in matters regarding diabetes management.
Functions as integral part of the team by expanding theoretical knowledge base, improving clinical techniques, enhancing interpersonal relations and preparing job related responsibilities within the organization.
- Educates staff on new technologies, health care issues and evidence based practices affecting diabets management.
- Creates competencies for the nursing staff and assists management in maintaining ongoing competencies.
- Seeks opportunities to enhance own knowledge regarding treatment and management of diabetes as evidenced by participation in specialty professional associations maintaining CDE and enrolling in advanced degree programs (MSN degree).
- Leads plan of care and provides diabetic initiatives and education to nursing, medical staff, management staff as well as the multidisciplinary team.
- Develops policies, procedures and programs facilitating the delivery of evidence based practice provided to diabetic patients.
- Demonstrates current and in-depth knowledge in clinical practice.
- Maintains current knowledge of available community resources and is able to differentiate varying level of care needs.
- Performs related duties, as required.
*ADA Essential Functions
Minimum of five (5) years of clinical diabetes experience in hospital or home care setting required.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing, required. Master’s Degree, preferred.
- Licensed to practice as a Registered Professional Nurse in New York State.
- Current certification in Certified Diabetes Educator (CDE), required.
Job Home Care
Primary Location Nassau County-New Hyde Park-1983 Marcus Ave
Schedule Full Time
Shift Day Job