RN Staff Nurse - Dialysis
VA Medical Center
- Home Health
RN Staff Nurse - Dialysis
Los Angeles, CA
Specific Duties include, but not limited to, the following:
1. Assesses the patient prior to and following dialysis. Develops a database on the dialysis patient with pertinent history and physical assessment.
2. Initiates and terminates hemodialysis, hemoprofusion, isolated ultrafiltration and peritoneal dialysis as ordered.
3. Inserts needles into peripheral veins or vascular accesses including those created by A.V. fistula or grafts using intradermal Lidocaine 1% as needed.
4. Monitors the patient during treatment, determining body fluid loss and saline replacement requirements during dialysis.
5. Recognizes and responds to emergencies such as: hypovolemia, anaphylaxis, first use syndrome, blood loss, air embolism, disequilibrium syndrome, needle infiltration, etc.
6. Sets up, prepares and sterilizes all dialysis equipment as necessary.
7. Assists the physician in the insertion of temporary vascular access.
8. Ensures that standards of practice and care are maintained.
9. Implements and maintains procedures to ensure and control safety of the unit environment.
10. Assists in developing, conducting and evaluating patient, family and significant others education programs to achieve optimal health.
11. Responsible for the primary care of a determined number of patients.
12. Instructs, supervises, assesses and evaluates hemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis patients in all aspects of self and home care.
13. Supervises hemodialysis technicians in completion of their duties.
14. Participates in educational activities to improve clinical knowledge and enhance performance.
15. Acts as a patient advocate to facilitate care and appropriate follow-up.
16. Participates in unit based quality improvement activities.
17. Facilitates equipment repair.
Tour of Duty: Schedule days of work will vary depending on the needs of the unit and may be any day(s) of the week Monday - Saturday. Shifts: 6:00 am - 6:30 PM and 10:00 am - 10:00 pm
Functional Statement: Staff Nurse
Best Care / Best Careers
To care for him who shall have borne the battle and for his widow and his orphan." These words, spoken by Abraham Lincoln during his Second Inaugural Address, reflect the philosophy and principles that guide VA in everything we do, and are the focus of our endeavors to serve our Nation's veterans and their families.
The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) has one of the most diverse, challenging, and rewarding missions in the United States Government. We strive to meet the needs of the Nation's veterans and their families today and in the future.
VA manages one of the largest health care systems in the world and the nation's leading employer of registered nurses. Nurses in Veterans Health Administration (VHA) are engaged in a variety of roles and have multiple opportunities for career and professional development. The VHA provides veterans and their dependents with many other services such as benefits and education, and also provides burial benefits.
Our goal is to provide excellence in patient care, veterans' benefits and customer satisfaction. We can provide you with challenging, interesting, meaningful work to care for the veterans who have risked their lives to protect our freedom.
As the Department of Veterans Affairs heads into the 21st century, we will strive to meet the needs of the Nation's veterans today and tomorrow. We are a more customer-focused organization, functioning as "One-VA" and delivering seamless service to our customers.
We benchmark our service with the best in business. We use innovative means and high technology to deliver "World-Class Customer Service". We foster partnerships with our customers and stakeholders, making them part of the decision-making process.
Department of Veterans Affairs is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
View Similar Jobs:
- View more Registered Nurse Jobs
- View more Medical/Surgical Jobs
- View more Dialysis Jobs
- View more Home Health Jobs
- View more VA Medical Center Jobs